Proprietary software helps you maximize your Internet experience, but is not open source. The software available includes Multimedia Codecs, Java Runtime Environment, and plug-ins for Firefox and Konqueror.
The Kubuntu Restricted Extras will install Adobe Flash Player, Java Runtime Environment (JRE) (sun-java-jre) with Firefox and Konqueror plug-ins (icedtea), a set of Microsoft Fonts (msttcorefonts), multimedia codecs (w32codecs or w64codecs), mp3-compatible encoding (lame), FFMpeg, extra multimedia codecs for K3b, the package for DVD decoding (libdvdread3, but see here for info on libdvdcss2), the unrar archiver, odbc, and cabextract. It also installs multiple "stripped" codecs and avutils (libavcodec-unstripped-52 and libavutil-unstripped-49). This is a single command approach.
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-restricted-extras
- You could also use Ubuntu Restricted Extras (ubuntu-restricted-extras), but it installs plugins for the Gstreamer platform (the default in Gnome) and does not install the K3b codecs, so it is not recommended.
- Note: Installation only works completely and properly when done from the command-line terminal Konsole. The entire package will not usually install completely from within a Package Manager.
- See this section for information on installing Java or the Java Runtime Environment.
- See this section for information on packages needed to play DVDs.
- The Pepper Flash (PPAPI) plugin is required to play HTML5 videos on you tube and other sources through the Chromium and Chrome browsers (it is bundled in the Chrome browser already). Installing this plugin through the skunk repository will also install the Chromium v. 37 (or later) browser.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:skunk/pepper-flash sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install pepflashplugin-installer
- The alternative is to add the repository directly to your software manager's software sources. See the instructions at the skunk Launchpad repository.
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/skunk/pepper-flash/ubuntu precise main deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/skunk/pepper-flash/ubuntu precise main