Kubuntuguide version updates
When using Ubuntu instead of Kubuntu, use the text editor gedit instead of kate.
Ubuntuguide template prefixes all begin with U_, Ubuntu, or Ubuntuguide whereas all Kubuntuguide template prefixes begin with K_, Kubuntu, or Kubuntuguide. Be sure to edit the correct template.
- Open a text editor window for kate.
- Open the template for the existing version. For example, open the template for Kubuntu_Raring_Internet and "Edit" (or "View Source") its contents. "Select all" of its contents and copy and paste them to the opened kate text editor.
- "Replace" all the references to "Raring" with "Saucy" using Kate -> Edit -> Replace... -> Find: Raring -> Replace: Saucy -> Replace All
- "Replace" all the references to "Ringtail" with "Salamander" in a similar manner (not necessary for many pages).
- Select all the updated content in the kate window and copy it.
- Paste the updated content into the corresponding new page. For example paste it into a new page named Kubuntu_Saucy_Internet.
Kubuntuguide liberally uses nested templates, so you will see the empty nested template names in red. Update these templates in the same way (with the content from the corresponding original template from the existing version). For example, update the content of Template:K_Saucy/Internet from Template:K_Raring/Internet in the same way.
- The corresponding pages in Ubuntuguide would be Ubuntu_Saucy_Internet, Ubuntu_Raring_Internet, Template:U_Saucy/Internet, and Template:U_Raring/Internet.
- Many pages are protected and cannot be edited by the average user.
- The Squid cache proxy of (K)Ubuntuguide sometimes requires saving changes several times (and/or reloading the page to reload user permissions). If the error "Sorry! We could not process your edit due to a loss of session data" appears then merely reload the page or save it again (it is not necessary to log out and then log back in).
- Users that try to make edits from an IP address or location that has been marked by the Wikimedia Foundation as a spam address will not be able to make changes to (K)Ubuntuguide. Several spam filters are in use on (K)Ubuntuguide.